Please join us for a celebration of sustainable seafood!
FISHING for the FUTURE
Benefiting the Marine Conservation and Technology Facility at Scripps Institution of Oceanography
As global appetites for seafood continue to grow, San Diego leads the way in creating a sustainable future for our oceans. Thanks to our community of world-class marine scientists, talented fisherman, knowledgeable fishmongers, award-winning chefs, and educated consumers, we are uniquely positioned to enjoy a healthy, sustainably sourced seafood supply today and safeguard the future of our planet’s oceans.
Join us in celebrating sustainable seafood through an evening of tasting and socializing with local chefs, fisherman, and leading Scripps researchers.
Wednesday, January 29, 2020 5:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Sumner Auditorium | Scripps Institution of Oceanography | 8625 Kennel Way, La Jolla, California
- Margaret Leinen, Director, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego
- Stuart Sandin (Moderator), Professor, Marine Biology, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego
- Carolynn Culver, Extension Specialist, California Sea Grant
- Karen Gray Geisler, MAS ’11, California Reef Manager, GreenWave
- Sarah Mesnick, Ecologist, Science Liaison, and Adjunct Professor, Southwest Fisheries Science Center, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego
- Brice Semmens, Associate Professor, Marine Biology, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego
- Gerard Viverito, Corporate Chef and Culinary Advisor, BlueNalu, Inc. & Associate Professor, Culinary Institute of America
Robert Paine Scripps Forum for Science, Society and the Environment | 8610 Kennel Way, La Jolla, California
- Hosted Cutwater sponsored bar | also sponsored by AB InBev with Cupcake wine, Michelob Ultra and 10 Barrel Profuse Juice IPA
- Interactive research stations featuring the 100 Island Challenge and marine research by Scripps scientists Jules Jaffe, Octavio Aburto, and Jen Smith
- Seafood Stations
- Chef Christina Ng, Chinitas Pies
- Chef Hector Casanova, Casanova Fish Tacos
- Chef Steve Riemer, Catamaran Resort & Spa
- Chef Giusepps Ciuffa, Giuseppe Catering
- Vegetarian station by Chef Josie (UC San Diego Catering)
$200 for VIP Admission ($140 tax-deductible): Includes exclusive pre-reception with featured chef, reserved seating during the speaking program, and access to the VIP area during the reception
$100 for General Admission ($60 tax-deductible)
* To purchase tickets, visit act.ucsd.edu/sustainableseafood. This is an 18+ event; 21+ for bar service.