Fiscal and Personnel Operations
The Office of Fiscal and Personnel Operations provides the SIO Director with a broad range of
financial and human resource services. Mindy Ryan is the unit director and reports directly to
Doug Bennett. Mindy has overall responsibility for tracking and projecting the financial resources
available to the Vice Chancellor, Marine Sciences (VCMS), as well as providing institution-wide reports,
analyses, surveys, and documenting policies and memorandums of understanding for new processes impacting
SIO's finances and personnel operations. She is the focal point for strategic planning for out-year projections
regarding personnel and finances. Additionally, Mindy is responsible for the financial and personnel
administration of the SIO Director s Office. She supervises a staff of 6 which she manages through her
direct reports who include (1) a senior administrative analyst who assists with institution-wide
analyses and data base management and (2) a business office manager who oversees the day-to-day business
operations of the SIO Director s business office.
Areas of Responsibility
Plan and analyze long-range financial position of the institution with supporting historical data and comparative reports.
- Evaluate comparative models for allocating resources among departments within the institution and for managing resource allocations efficiently.
- Maintain all institutional financial reports, including institution s annual report (statement of financial activity), balance sheet (statement of financial position), and development activity report.
- Perform cost/benefit analyses of programs.
- Review SIO division business operations to ensure compliance with audit requirements.
- Develop systems for startup and closeout of all major institutional projects, divisions, and multi-campus research units.
- Serve as financial resource person/trouble shooter for all SIO units/divisions.
- Serve as liaison with central human resources and labor relations to ensure communication and implementation of UC and UCSD personnel policies.
- Manage the VCMS employee recognition and incentive program.
Business Office Operations:
- Monitor and allocate funds for Director's commitments.
- Produce monthly and ad hoc financial statements for units within SIO Director s Office.
- Perform fiscal closing, staff balancing and merit pool processing for Director s business office and VCMS.
- Oversee purchase orders, travel advances, entertainment vouchers, gift processing, recharge activity, vessel registration,
payroll and personnel processing within the SIO Director's Office.